Friday, October 24, 2008

October 24, 1978 - Eddie & the Otters at Phase III with the Human Switchboard

This was our first bar gig, and I guess you could say our first step towards becoming a "real" band. We performed "Little Girl" for the first time at this show, included a short drum solo in "Gloria", and played our first genuine encore - "Hang On Sloopy". This was also my first bar gig ever, and I remember what a thrill it was to drive past the club on my way to Pitt that day and see our name on the marquee, then see an ad with our name posted on campus and in the Pittsburgh Press.




Audio - yes (only "Gloria"), Video - no, Pictures - yes (only the marquee as far as I know)
October 24, 1979 - The Otters at The Decade
The Otters (Jim S., Doug, Jonathan Newhouse, Diane Ford) made their debut at The Decade. Jim B. and I were there - can't remember if Eddie was or not. I certainly went with an attitude and was all set to not like them, but they weren't bad. They played a mix of new material (including some originals) and standards from the Otters repertoire. One particular memory is of Jean (Thompson, Jim's girlfriend) crying when they played "Brown-Eyed Girl", which Eddie had always (or usually) sung for her.
I recorded the show, and the following is a list of the songs (I don't have any information on sets, and it isn't the complete show):
(In The) Midnight Hour
Brown-Eyed Girl
Chance In A Million (Spitznagel)
Dirty Water
Fire (Springsteen)
Gloria (a reggae version that included "Lively Up Yourself")
Heat Wave
I Am A Book (Gebhard)
I Knew The Bride
Lies
Listen To Her Heart
Little Girl
One Way Or Another
and possibly...
Born Lucky (Newhouse)
Hanging On The Telephone
Paperback Writer
Shakin' All Over
Starry Eyes
The Last Time
They Called It Rock

No comments: