Friday, August 29, 2008

August 29, 1981 - Eddie & the Otters at Fat City opening for Norm Nardini & the Tigers

In the late summer, Jim released the four song we'd recorded in March 1980 as an EP ("Journey Through Time and Space"?) on his Public Records label, and we decided to get the band back together to play more regularly, I suppose in the interest of promoting it. We had upcoming dates in early September at The Decade and Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, so we were rehearsing, working in a lot of new material. I don't remember how this gig came about, but either Norman called us while we were rehearsing (at Waverly Church? That doesn't seem likely) or Eddie called Norman, but we went straight from a rehearsal to open for Norman and the Tigers at Fat City, only the second time we'd played there. Obviously this wasn't our crowd, although I guess we went over OK. I don't have a tape of the show, but I definitely remember playing "This Ol' House", one of the tunes we'd just learned. We probably also played "Black Slacks" for the first time here.

1 comment:

SPITZNAGEL said...

The way I remember it: We were rehearsing for two nights...both at Waverly. On the second night Ed said that Norm had just called him because he wanted someone to open for The Tigers at Fat City...that night! I can't recall much of a discussion...in very short order we were on stage.