Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Catching Up, part 2 (October 31)

October 31, 1981 - Eddie & the Otters at The Decade (with the Rumblestrips)
A big night at The Decade. I remember the club being packed and in a particularly festive mood. In addition to it being Halloween, I think there'd been a football game of some significance that day (Penn State suffering an upset loss sticks in my mind). As I recall, there was one guy who got a little too festive and was dancing naked off to the side of the stage in a particularly alcohol-enhanced state of mind. I think Eddie was the only band member in costume (see pictures below).

The Rumblestrips played a great opening set, starting out with a new song called "Spy vs. Spy". Hank Lawhead and Mark Gaudio provided the p.a. and did a great job, and Hank sat in with the Rumblestrips (is it possible that he sat in with us, too?) Unfortunately there's no recording of the Otters portion of the show due to a malfunction of the cassette deck, but there is a soundboard tape of the Rumblestrips.

I imagine our set was pretty typical for the period, but I seem to remember us also learning and playing "Monster Mash" for this occasion.
















No comments: