Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hell On Earth

August 10, 1979 - Eddie & the Otters opened for the Hell Band at Fat City. The Hell Band's show was videotaped for a proposed cable TV (?) special to be called "Hell On Earth". The show was also broadcast live on WYEP-FM with Concrete Window in the studio and Francis Volpe MC'ing on stage. Francis graciously insured that the end of our set was broadcast - the last three songs ("So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star", "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place", and one other that I have documented somewhere but can't recall offhand). There was enough of a break between our set and the Hell Band that Jim and I drove back to my parents' house (in North Versailles) and I started taping the broadcast just before it started.

Our set was also videotaped (I remember briefly watching some playback afterwards), but the tapes apparently have vanished. In the mid/late 90's I asked Dave Rusnak about it and he never got a copy of or even saw the Hell Band footage. I've never been able to locate a recording of our abbreviated live broadcast, either.

This was the first of only two times that we played at Fat City, the other being an August 1981 opening set for Norm Nardini & the Tigers.

No comments: