Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 23, 1979 - Eddie & the Otters at The Decade. This was the last show we played at The Decade by ourselves before the first breakup. For several reasons, this was a more memorable show. Two of the sets featured guest introductions, one by Derf and one by Wayno. At the end of the show I kicked over my drums (two bass drums, no less) and Jim smashed his guitar (his first electric guitar, purchased at Clabers many years earlier).



I had a potential scheduling conflict once again because I was scheduled to work 3-11 shift at the Duquesne Works, but I arranged for the girl working 11-7 to come in early so I could make the show. At lunchtime I went to The Decade and set my drums up so I wouldn't have to worry about taking time to set them up. Obviously I was very trusting that they'd still be there that night! I decide to use both bass drums (visual effect only since I could play them particularly well) and I also used my Synare electronic drum for a "ray gun" effect on "I Fought the Law".



During the encore, Jim switched guitars after "You Really Got Me". He hadn't told anyone except me that he planned to smash a guitar, and apparently a few people were freaked out because they thought it was his Strat because both guitars had sunburst finishes. Unfortunately, the Clabers guitar was horribly out of tune and Jim desperately tried to tune it during Eddie's spoken intro to "Kick Out the Jams". When it was time to start the song he wasn't done, but in order to preserve some momentum, I started playing after trying to buy him a couple of more seconds. As a result, the guitar is still badly out of tune throughout.
There are a fair number of pictures from this show because my friend Rob came to take pictures of the band, and Wayno took some pictures of the equipment trashing with my camera. The audio tape came out pretty good, too, and I used "I Fought the Law" and "Do the Otter" for the "Otterbiography" CD in 1999.

1st set

1) Wayno introduction - Little Girl
2) Get Off My Cloud
3) Open My Eyes
4) Summertime Blues
5) Tossin' & Turnin'
6) Let's Dance
7) Twistin' the Night Away
8) Best Friend's Girl
9) They Called It Rock
10) Ticket to Ride
11) Roll Over Beethoven
12) Detroit Medley

2nd set

1) The Kids Are Alright
2) I Think We're Alone Now
3) Riot in Cell Block #9
4) Peter Gunn Theme
5) Secret Agent Man
6) Brown-Eyed Girl
7) I Saw Her Standing There
8) You Can't Do That
9) I Hear You Knockin'
10) Last Train to Clarksville
11) I Got a Line on You
12) The Last Time
13) Like a Rolling Stone
14) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
15) Don't Come Close
16) I Fought the Law
17) Grand Larceny
18) Slow Down

3rd set

1) Derf introduction - Mystery Dance
2) Hound Dog
3) 19th Nervous Breakdown
4) Sky Pilot
5) Louie Louie
6) So You Want to Be a Rock & Roll Star
7) Day Tripper
8) Feel a Whole Lot Better
9) Love Me Two Times
10) Yummy Yummy Yummy
11) Sweet Little Sixteen/Surfin' U.S.A.
12) I Knew the Bride
13) Do the Otter
14) Shout
15) Gloria (with drum solo)
16) We Gotta Get Out of This Place

(encore)

17) You Really Got Me
18) Kick Out the Jams (equipment trashing at the end)
Audio - yes, Video - no, Photos - yes (2 sources)

No comments: